Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Weave a Woolen Scarf

I have been spinning or at least learning how to spin using a drop spindle. I got a lot of colors done and decided to make my first scarf. Let's just stay it was done in the rustic or primitive style.;) I have enjoyed spinning. Even though that part of the project cannot be done in a day, I have enjoyed spinning on the drop spindle in the evening when we are all just sitting around or when I have a half and hour to myself after I get home from school.

I nailed thin nails that had practically no heads onto a board that was long enough for the scarf I needed to make. I made two lines of nails so that I had about 25 nails at each end of the board. Then I used the dark grey and black yard that I had spun to string back and forth along the board until it was all connected.

The yard I used the other direction was yarn that contrasted with the black.  This yarn was my first attempt at spinning so there were lots of lumps and bumps going on.... as it turns out, I kind of like that look.

I think when I do another scarf I will make a longer one because although I use this one for under a black jacket and to snuggle up around my neck, I think it would be nice if I could tie it.

This project did take me a full day. Maybe someday I will be a table loom and that would make the process go much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment